Monday, December 04, 2006

Unexpected Charity

My title does not mean that I was the recipient of unexpected charity. No, in actuality it refers to those knitting projects that don't come out quite the way you intended. It can't be given to the recipient it was intended for but it's complete so you don't really want to tear the whole thing apart. Rather than letting it litter the bottom of the knitting basket I send them off to someone who can actually get use out of it.

This happened to me last year. I tried to create a hat that duplicated one worn by Veronica on Veronica Mars. A poor choice of yarn meant that it came out nothing like I intended. Still and all it was a good hat so off to Dulaan it went.

My latest Odessa will travel to Tibet next year as well:

if it's a crappy cellphone photo, it must be Monday...

Crappy photo aside, the hat came out well, hell the yarn even striped like I wanted it to on the other two hats. The flaw came, I'm convinced, from hubris. Maribel has been fighting with Odessa for a little over a week now. She must have frogged the damn thing 3 or 4 times. Every time she called to complain I would sympathize but I would say while I did vaguely recall problems with my first Odessa, I could do them in my sleep now! HA! I must have been doing this one in my sleep because I never changed the needle from 6 to 8 when I finished the ribbing. So it's a lovely hat for a small child, not a grown teacher. Oh well that's life. I decided to go back to my Christmas stockings.

The knitting group yesterday was fun. Maribel and I had a good time. They hope to have it once a month so I'll definitely go back.

Happy Monday (is that an oxymoron or what?) everyone...

0 comments: