Friday, January 20, 2006

Bloggin on the Train

I am actually blogging on the NYC Subway. I’ve been taking my laptop with me the past few days to watch my new box set of Titus Seasons 1 and 2.  There comes a point in rush where my mind turns to mush. I don’t want to read on the train to and from work, I don’t want to knit and I don’t sleep on moving objects so I bring something to watch.  Today I wanted to blog before the kids got up but the bed held me prisoner longer than I intended. I did manage to load some pictures at least. I realized while walking to the train that I could just type up my post in word and publish it when I get to work.  How efficient am I? Aren’t you impressed?

Today we have the next shot in the ABC Along:

B is for Bookstore



Welcome to the New York University Main Bookstore. My home away from home. I took this shot last night as I was leaving a little after 6. This is when things begin to die down. This is the view as you come out of the Text Floor Coordinator’s office (that would be Mike). I figured I spend a huge portion of my life here so it makes sense to share it with you. I have worked in bookstores of one kind or another for 20 years (this September). I have a degree in Early Childhood Education. I am technically pursuing a degree in Psychology (I haven’t registered for classes in quite awhile). My long term plan is to be a school counselor at some point, but here’s the problem: I like my job.  Not every day of course but overall I love what I do. Managing a huge department (with two excellent coordinators, the aforementioned Mike and Tisha so I never really have to manage), buying books and dealing with faculty and publishers.  I really do enjoy it. This leads to quite a lack of drive to get anything else done. I am a bookseller and it is such a part of me, I’m not sure I will ever be anything else.

For those of you looking for a Jaywalker update, here it is. I still do not have a finished sock (see the above paragraph about brain turning to mush). The first one is about an inch or so away from the toe decreases, see:



I put it down and haven’t picked it up. After Stephannie had to enlist the assistance of the Canadian Postal system to determine she was short on yarn I decided to stop before the toe. I have some yarn left over from Devan (remember that? Ian just about fits it now) that is similar in color so I am hoping that if I run low I can do the toes with that. I will finish the foot portion tonight and cast on for the second but I am taking a little break after that to work on some fingerless gloves for Rinaldo.

As for the Knitter’s Olympics, sanity has prevailed and I am backtracking from the shawl idea.  I think I am going to tackle Branching Out again. This time with some nice alpaca I picked up at Rhinebeck a couple years back. A scarf is a little more realistic but lace is the challenge.

Have a great weekend everyone.

0 comments: