Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Haul

I'm exaggerating more than a bit in describing the yarn we got on Saturday as a "haul" we both behaved quite well. Just to show how alike we are we each bought the exact same two yarns. Of course to show our differences we picked entirely different colorways.

This is the lovely green wool I picked up. Three hanks at $8 a piece from the 30% off area:

Plassard Symphonie


Then there was this, four hundred yards of beautiful handpainted mercerized cotton:

Schaefer Yarns Laurel in the Empress Wu Zhao colorway


This line is named for memorable women. I almost came home with Billie Holiday but something about the Empress spoke to me. I think the Empress wants to be a smaller Clapotis.

Maribel was true to her Latina heritage and picked up Frida Kahlo



You'll also notice the 2 hanks of Symphonie for her as well. Great minds think alike. The plastic purple needles sticking out of both of our yarns are Flying Fingers souvenir needles. They were so cute and purple is Bel's favorite color so I bought a set for both of us.

I was working on the baby booties from the Morehouse Merino kit on Saturday but man I could not get the gauge. The recommended needle size is 4 or 5. I went all the way to 7s and I was still a bit over the required 5 stitches per inch. I checked their website to see if there was any errata or some clue as to what I was doing wrong but when I clicked on the pattern it opened more questions as the recommended needle size on the site is 3s or 4s. Huh? I'm making the booties with another yarn at the moment because a baby was recently born to a colleague of Rinaldo's and it will let me see what the pattern should look like, it also lets me complete a quick project for the Stashbusters knitalong. I haven't had a gauge issue like this since my first year of knitting, and never when I've used the recommended yarn. I think I'm going to have to call the company and see what they suggest.

0 comments: