Monday, October 09, 2006

Lolly put up some questions for Socktoberfest. Since I am always in need of a blog post here they are:

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I attempted socks a number of years ago and only finished one, badly I may add. I gave up until 2004. I taught myself.

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

They were a pair of Regia Jaquard. They were a bit too small so I gave them to Avery. They have held up very well and are much softer and more comfortable now than they were then.

* What would you have done differently?

I would have started making them more regularly after that first pair. It seemed to take so long that I took a long time before I did another pair. Now that I make them more regularly they go so much faster.

* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I love Socks That Rock but I really haven't used a sock yarn that I disliked, at least so far.

* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

DPNS

* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Flap at the moment but I've done a short row heel and I think I could really like it when I get better at it. I definitely prefer short rows for a heel in a contrasting color.

* How many pairs have you made?

6 pairs.

Where am I on my Socktoberfest knitting? Well I am just past the cuff on the second Magic Stripes sock. I just found out that the conference I usually attend where I get to hang out with my friend isn't being held this year so there is no need to rush. I have decided that Soctoberfest is a good excuse to try new things however. The next pair I cast on will be for my mother in law, mostly because she has teeny tiny feet. I am going to try knitting two socks at once as discussed in this Knitty article. I've done a couple of projects in double knitting so I think it shouldn't be too difficult. The question is will I actually enjoy doing it that way. We'll see.

I also signed up for the My First Toe Ups knitalong since Baudelaire is on my list as well. Of course the two socks at once will have to really work for me to even dream about starting another pair before the month is out.

Happy Monday!

0 comments: