Monday, April 18, 2005

Katy put up interview questions for me. I had been seeing the interview thing run around the blogs, but I waited until a blogger I knew fairly well got tagged. Then I volunteered. I love to talk about myself, but I am also interested in what people want to know about me.

Here are the rules:

  1. Leave a comment saying "Interview Me". I will do the first two people who ask.
  2. I will list your questions on THIS blog.
  3. You will give answers on YOUR blog.
  4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
  5. You should ask 5 questions.
Now my answers:

1. Do you have any siblings?

No, just me.

2. Why did you drop out of high school?

No easy answer to this one. I suppose to put it down to one thing I would say that after my parent's marriage fell apart when I was 13 I pretty much had to parent myself and I did a damn poor job of it. There were many factors that contributed though. I see it more and more in hindsight. The biggest factor I think was the fact that I was considered gifted for most of my school career, yet no one ever challenged me. I coasted for grades 1-5. Then in grade 6 I was put into a special program for gifted kids, and my grades shot down. Mostly because I didn't know how to study or do real work. I was used to completing assignments the night before not spending weeks preparing, fact finding and putting together a good presentation. This was no longer acceptable and I never really recovered. I went to an excellent Junior High for 7-9th grades where I did better because I had some wonderful teachers ( and one who was absolutely amazing, Lois Cohen) but then I was sent to Stuyvesant High School. While it's true I did pass the test with flying colors to get in, I wasn't all that interested in Math and Science at that point. It was also a completely different culture than I had ever been in before and I found it difficult to make friends. By this point my home life was a mess, and I took to skipping school and hanging out. Tenth grade was a joke, I was absent more than I attended and they socially promoted me to 11th grade but I didn't do any better. When I was 17, I got a job at Barnes and Noble and started to grow up and life has been much better ever since.


3. Do you think you'll finish your degree? Do you still want to be a school counselor?

I actually just sent in my application to the School of Education here at NYU, to continue my degree. Let's see if they take me. I do want to be a school counselor. As someone who had a difficult adolescence I would love to help a child avoid the traps I fell in, but I love my job right now and I and my kids get to go to NYU for free. That means that I have 8-12 years for Avery to start and finish and 15-19 for Ian. It looks like it will be a change of life career for me.

4. If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would it be? By yourself, with the kids, a girlfriend or just Rinaldo?

I would love to visit Egypt or Greece. I think that both places and the ruins of ancient civilizations that still exist there call my pagan blood. I'd love to go with Rinaldo, maybe even the kids when they're older (over say 14) but I can't deny that I would love to go with Maribel just she and I in many ways. She understands how I feel about those places and we learned to love them together in our sixth grade classroom. She would be the ideal traveling companion for that type of trip for me.

5. What's your budget for Maryland Sheep and Wool?

I did originally have $300 budgeted but I may have to cut that down to $200 as I just got my reservation for Maribel and I to take the Yarn Bus later in May. It's going to be a hell of a month for yarn.

0 comments: