Thursday, December 04, 2003

I finally got it together and finished the muff and wrote out the pattern. I posted it to the Knitlist this morning but for my few faithfuls out there I thought I should post it here as well. I am hoping to have pictures up over the weekend so you can see just how adorable it actually is! Everyone who has seen it loves it and I have had requests to make some for more gifts (I said not until next year!). This one also attracted a lot of attention while I was KIPing. I had quite a few people comment on it on the subway. So I am feeling pretty damn good about my first original design....

Headband

1 ball of bulky yarn (A) (I used LB's Jiffy)
1 ball of Lion Brand Fun Fur (B)
Size 10 1/2 (US) needles
Gauge: 5 stitches = 2 1/2"
If you want to check your gauge bear in mind that your are casting on double the amount of stitches that you want.
For example for the headband I wanted it to be about 5" wide so that would be 10 stitches, therefore I cast on 20.


Cast on 20 stitches with yarn A.
Attach yarn B with slip knot.
Knit the first stitch on the needle with A. Purl the next stitch with B.
Continue until the end of the row.
At the beginning of the next row twist the 2 strands together so you don't have a gap.
Knit with B and purl with A.
Continue until it is the length you want. I did mine to 23" for an 11 year old girl.
I was a bit concerned about the elasticity of the fun fur, so I then added a small tab to sew velcro onto. Bind off all fun fur stitches only. Continue to knit st st for an inch or so more.
Bind off.
Weave in ends. Sew velcro onto the flap and the other side of the band.


Muff


1 ball of bulky yarn (A).
1 ball of Lion Brand Fun Fur(B).
Size 10 1/2 needles.

Cast on 80 stitches with A.
Knit in the same manner as above.
Continue until piece measures 11'' (or desired length)
When binding off I knit A and B together with A and then I bound them off.
Weave in ends. Sew seam.

I got the double knitting technique from here http://knitting.about.com/library/bldoubleknit.htm so if this is at all unclear you may want to look there for clarification.

0 comments: