Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A while back I was sent a book to review here on the blog. I was touched that someone actually thought anyone cared that much about my opinion. I get free books at work all the time but getting one just because I'm a blogger made me just a bit giddy...but there was a problem.

The book is I [Heart] Felting.
I had Kathleen Taylor's first felting book Knit One Felt Too. I actually gave it away since there were really no projects I would have ever made. Upon looking at the new book I have to admit I don't [heart] felting.

There are a couple cute things in the book. My favorite is this bag:

...but while her yarn choices for most of the projects are extremely affordable, Knit Picks and Cascade being the main two, this bag is made with 5 skeins of Noro Iro. That makes it a $100 bag. It's not that cute.

I sort of like this sweater:
...but in a more academic way. The juxtaposition of felted and knit on a garment is different and interesting. I don't see myself making it or wearing it if I did.

The other projects did nothing for me at all. I think I am over felting or at least I only like it for bags. Everything else just looks odd to me. Now obviously Ms. Taylor is way more creative than I am since I've never designed anything intricate in my life so this is more about personal taste rather than a criticism of her work. If you like felting this is a good book for it. There are a variety of projects and the instructions are clear and straightforward. It's simply not my cup of tea.

I've been torn for the past week about whether or not to post this but in the end when a publisher sends out a review copy they are gambling with the opinion of the chosen reviewers. The fact that I received it for free doesn't mean I should not be honest.

I have given the book to someone who does [heart] felting. I'm sure she'll adore it.

Since some people are getting noticed by celebrities by talking them up I am starting a new campaign to get Nikki Sixx to comment on my blog. I will mention his name, Nikki Sixx, every time I post. No matter the subject. Even if it's just a random line like this:

NIKKI SIXX

Cara you should totally do this for Shaun. I'm sure he loves you just as much as that Robby dude supposedly loves Ann (how much do you think she paid him?).

Nikki Sixx

0 comments: