Thursday, January 10, 2008

Goals for the New Year

I've been sitting on this post in my head for awhile letting it percolate a bit. I don't really do resolutions anymore. They're pretty pointless. I will do the occasional goal setting. Particularly in knitting terms which has had a far share of success for me but in my life New Year's is just another signpost in the passage of time.

This year however I have been inspired to do something a bit different. Cate's solstice post put into words what I have been feeling for the past few months. Life is chaotic by nature, life with children and family even more so. It's nice to say I'd like to be in control but frankly it's impossible. However I can choose how I deal with the things thrown at me. I can work at having more purpose day to day and actually live with intention as Cate so eloquently put it.

One of my co-workers was in this morning talking about the goals he's setting for himself and the program he's working on to get them done. I'm not that organized, nor disciplined and I don't even want to be but there are things I want to happen and I can work on making them happen. Even while accepting the fact that life is going to toss obstacles in the way and I can go around them, over them or switch paths as I choose to.

Another article that inspired me a bit was this one on being a bitch. I am well known amongst my friends and co-workers as being blunt. I'm the one who gets right to the point and I like being that way. I take this article as an affirmation of the validity of that aspect of my personality. I am a bitch and I am not in the least bit apologetic about it but as my boss once told me he knows I would never stab him in the back, I would stab him in the front right where he could see me. Yes, I took that as a compliment. I'll continue to call it as I see it and maybe hesitate even less than I do now. It has served me well so far and I think the times I've hesitated it's typically backfired later.

How well have I done with the intent thing so far? Not too bad. I can't go to the gym during rush because an hour is more than I can take for lunch but I'm attempting to take a walk for 20 minutes at some point of the day. It's better than nothing and it makes me more productive when I get back to work as well.

My knitting mojo is a bit low at the moment but January is always like that for me. I finished Avery's hat. I was going to do some swatching last night for Tomten and the Bedtime Robe for Ian but the yarn just sat next to me while I watched TV. It'll happen. I'm not worried about it.

I will be doing the knit from my stash thing again this year. It cleared quite a bit out of my stash last year. So between now and my birthday in June no yarn purchases unless they are needed to finish a project or if I have a gift card (which I do, lol) or credit or something. I was going to do the mission possible thing but there's that discipline and organization thing again, just not me.

We'll have to see how this new plan goes. We all know what the road to hell is paved in, don't we?

0 comments: