Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Ok I've been a bit busy. I finished the basic bag. I am not overly thrilled with it. My seaming doesn't really work for it. I should have checked the page with Sally Melville's seaming suggestion but I was overly confident. Still it came out pretty well and once I sew in the lining and sew on the button I think it will be gift worthy.
Once I finished that on Saturday, I got out my beautiful handpainted cashmere hank to wind it into a ball. It was a nightmare. At first I had my husband hold it for me, that didn't work. Then I put around the back of a chair but it was too wrapped in itself so I just laid it down and started rolling the ball. It became a tangled mess. I was up until 2 in the morning working on it until I just couldn't do it anymore. When I woke up I went back to it. In total it took me 6 1/2 hours to finally get it into balls. To make matters worse it is so fragile that it kept breaking even with the slightest pressure.
Once I was done I cast on for the Short Rows Scarf. The cashmere is like knitting with air. I didn't get very far but I did get to the first short row section and it was really simple.
I decided for my travel knitting I should work on the hat and mitten set I want to make for the boys' baby cousin. I have a lycra merino blend in a beautiful rose variagated. The pattern for the hat said it could be done on circulars or dpns but once I cast on I saw there was no way that I could do it on the circular and unfortunately I don't have size 6 dpns so it will have to wait until payday.
So I needed another travel project, the scarf is portable but it's a gift for Tisha and we work together, and ride the train home together often so it would be hard keeping it a secret. I cast on for my eldest son's sweater. It is made with Lion Brand Cotton Thick and Quick so I am hoping it will go fast. It's a hooded sweater, in a blue varigated called denim. Of course being the trouble maker that I am I have already decided to add a kangaroo pocket, which it doesn't have and I didn't like the bottom edging. The pattern calls for 6 rows of stockinette and then 6 rows of 1 by 1 rib. I don't like the curling edge look especially not at the bottom of ribbing. So I did 12 rows of rib instead, it looks really good.