Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Obsessions

Carla had this meme yesterday and it brought up a fact about me that is only hinted at on the blog, I live to be obsessed. If I like something, I mean really like something it turns into an obsession. When I was young I took it very seriously. I once read a book about Montgomery Clift, then I rented or taped nearly every one of his films. Same for Ava Gardner and Louise Brooks. Josephine Baker lead to buying albums, watching movies, reading numerous books and visiting the restaurant dedicated to her. I've had the same experience with books. After I read the first Spenser novel I read the rest of them in a two week period (ahh the free time of youth).

I'm not sure why I'm this way but I have transferred it to my oldest son. When he discovers something he enjoys it becomes all encompassing. Yu Gi Oh, Crossing Jordan, Monk, even ancient Greece. He'll check out the websites, read the books, play the games whatever.

I think it's one of the reasons I appear well educated though I dropped out of school in 9th grade (I do have two years of college now but I find some things you learn in high school that I still don't really know). I've obsessed about the Tudors, especially Henry's wives. I've obsessed about Scotland, particularly in the Jacobite era. This leads me to read and watch anything I can get my hands on about the subject. Most of them burn out over time although I typically always have a fondness for these things.

I still adore Monty;)

It was a bit hard to come up with five things I'm currently obsessed with since I usually focus on one or two at a time but here it goes...

List five things I’m obsessed with:

Blood Ties a new Canadian vampire detective show. It's fun, not too serious, comes from a book series and has a nice young hottie for me,Kyle Schmid. Young hot guys a pretty much a prerequsite for my television obsessions.

Music - music is a constant. I may obsess on a certain singer or band but I must have music in my life everyday. One of the leftovers from my wannabe rock star days I suppose.

The Outlander series - This is one of the few book series that I remain obsessed with even between books. None of the others match the first but I love the characters so much that reading one of them is like catching up with old friends. The minute a new one comes out I start reading it and my husband kisses me goodbye for a few days while I visit the 1700s.

Bollywood movies/India - Maribel got me watching Bollywood movies awhile back but now it's grown into an interest in all things Indian. I love the food, the music, the spirituality and as soon as the book diet is over there's a few books on Indian history that I have on my list to buy.

Knitting (obviously)- Another long lasting one. I didn't realize how much of my life it would consume when I picked up the needles again 7 years ago but it's become fulfilling on so many levels that it is one obsession that has truly benefited me and in some ways changed my life. Mostly through the blog of course;)

What are your obsessions?

0 comments: